SEO in itself encompasses a wide array of techniques and strategies; all for one holy grail- higher rankings in major search engines. There are a few things about SEO that one must remember, especially in today’s context, where Google tends to adapt its search algorithms, targeting certain optimization techniques more than ever.
While SEO used to be largely dedicated to keyword modification and manipulation to suit certain aspects of rank boosting, today, over-optimization of keywords is considered negative by Google. The tables have turned and it is now quality, NOT ranking and profit oriented content that ranks higher.
There are some basic facts you should know before trying out any techniques:
- Google’s objective has never changed since day one. To return to the searcher the most relevant and useful results. Therefore, if you web content is useful, relevant and gives real value – you can’t go wrong.
- No one SEO technique is a magic bullet. You need to do a whole range of techniques to support the quality content you have on your site. Make it easy for Google to crawl. Make it useful for the reader.
- Keywords are the kings of searches. Not only do they pin point what exactly the user is looking for, they also play a pivotal role in deciding who will go ahead in the ranking race. Optimal keyword research is a very essential part of any SEO technique. Use Google’s Keyword tool to do this (you will need to open a Google ad-words account to use this tool – its free to do so).
- Most users NEVER go beyond the first 10 search results. Aim for the top 5; if not, try to stay within 8.
- Social Media has now become very important in determining how your website, page or content is ranked by the search engine. Google play’s close attention to how much your content is shared on Social Media. Make sure it’s easy for people to share your content!
5 Useful SEO Techniques
- The page “Meta Title” is still very important in helping to tell Google what your page is about and how you are ranked. Make sure it’s unique and relevant for each page.
- Make sure that all images on your website have an ALT image. Google has no idea what your images and the good news is you get to tell Google. Make sure you keep it relevant to the web page content and not just a keyword that you want to rank for but is not represented on the page.
- Be very careful of backlinks. Link building is an essential part of any project, but be sure the links are not spammy or over optimized black listed ones. In that case, due to association, your website will automatically get blacklisted. Focus more on getting your awesome content shared on Social Media
- Quality is perhaps the most fundamental part in today’s world of SEO. At the end of the day, if your website offers genuine user friendly content, it will eventually climb the steps of success. Good quality content, regularly updated, relevant to the topic is always in demand. The idea is to keep things simple, use as few keywords as possible, and rather attempt at building a connection with the reader.
- Advertisements have been a major bread earner for many websites and blogs. There was a time when a successful website could literally feed a household. However, today it has all changed with the search engine algorithm updates by Google. Ad filled websites are now rather looked down upon, and in order for your website to be high ranked; you will have to do with a minimum number of ads.
It is also a good idea to keep abreast of what Google is saying. A good place to do this is by regularly reading the Google Webmasters Blog